Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ukraine

After two days of training the team here in Klagenfurt ended up signing another setter instead of me. So it goes. However, the experience here was good, and I just got word of a team in Ukraine that is looking for a setter. So tomorrow I'm taking a train to Vienna and then flying into Kiev.

The club is called VC Impexagro Sport Cherkasy and is in Cherkasy, about 150 km south of Kiev. They play in the top division in Ukraine and finished 5th last year. There is apparently a tournament starting on Tuesday, and they want me to play with them for that. I've never been to Ukraine and I don't know anything about the Cyrillic alphabet, so this will definitely be an interesting experience, but I'm looking forward to playing some good volleyball.

4 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts your way. Hope this is something you want and find interesting. Play hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt

    I was in Cherkazy 3 years ago to play European Cup with Fortuna. It is a poor part of Ukraine, they have a good ladies team and a basket team. Beer is 4-5 DKK for 1/2 liter, but otherwise it is not that great.

    It looks like Russia in 1985 ;-)

    Good luck though

    Mikkel Hauge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt

    I was in Cherkasy nine years ago, and it wasn't the greatest place on the earth back then either. No streetlights and an old gym. But the vodka was cheap and there was a newly opened MacDonalds, so we survived :-) Do they have any other foreigners in the team?

    Good luck

    Mikkel Vestergaard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then the deal is perfect - both cheap beer and vodka + mcdonalds for hangovers....

    Good luck
    Mikkel Hauge

    ReplyDelete