Monday, April 21, 2008

Final #2 v Marienlyst

First of all, hats off to Marienlyst for a well played final. I think over the course of the two matches they played some great volleyball, and they deserved to win.

We came out and from the first point played with a lot of energy and excitement, something that we've done all season when our backs are against the wall. I'm not sure if Marienlyst was nervous or caught off guard in the beginning, but they made a lot of mistakes and we took the first set pretty easily, 25-21.

We had a lot of momentum for the second set, and a lead of a couple points through most of it, but we just couldn't close the door on Marienlyst, and they were able to take advantage. It was some pretty exciting sideout volleyball at the end of the set with Marienlyst edging us out 30-28.

The loss in the second set took a lot of momentum out of our sails and fired up both Marienlyst and their crowd. The third and fourth sets belonged to them, and specifically, Shaun Powell. We had no answer for him as he continued to win nearly every ball in sideout and transition.

The team was pretty disappointed with the result, but in the end we have to be satisfied with how we did. We had some ups and downs but ultimately we peaked at the right time and were able to do some really good things as a group. I think I'll write a bit more later about the season as a whole and toss out some general thoughts about my time here.

I still haven't made any decision about returning to Aalborg for next season. I want to take some time to think it through, but I promise I'll let you loyal readers know when I do make a decision...

No comments:

Post a Comment